Mobile BI is a critical piece of the BI puzzle. Businesses are beginning to realize that emerging mobile solutions will finally fulfill the promise of the Business Intelligence industry – access to information where you need it, when you need it. If BI is about making better decisions using the right data, then mobile BI is about making sure that everyone, especially mobile workers, has access to that data anytime, anywhere.Business Intelligence is about making better decisions using right data, then mobile BI is make sure that mobile workers, has access to that data anytime.
Mobile access to BI applications is typically accomplished in one of two ways:
- Using a mobile-browser to access the application on the web
- Using a native application that is designed for a specific mobile Operating System.
Each approach has its benefits and disadvantages and, in the end, it comes down to identifying what is suitable for your business.
While planning a mobile BI implementation, one needs to consider:
- Ease of use
- Time taken to market or build reports, given different device types and form factors
- Ability to integrate with other enterprise apps and existing BI investments
- Connectivity to different data types
- Touch-optimized controls and views
- Consistent experience across devices
- Offline access
- Leverage device features for interactive presentations with interactive graphs and drill down features
While it may not be possible to achieve stack-centricity for some time to come with the limitations in current BI tools, it is definitely a good investment to consider a new tool to address potential business challenges.
At Data Semantics BI Centre of Excellence, we have tried out all possible popular platforms to help our customers in their mobile BI journey.